My review of TIGHTER: here
Author Website: here
Tighter is definitely not Adele Griffin's first stab at the literary world, but it's the first of her novels that I've had the pleasure to read. This pleasure led me to falling in love with her and her amazing writing style. It takes a mind of great uniqueness to come up with a story/retelling so eerily addictive.Goodreads of TIGHTER: here
I reached out to her via twitter for an interview. The very next day we were in correspondence, me asking questions and her answering. Griffin is such a lovely and humble person. This can be seen so easily through our little interview. Here we go!
_____________________________________________
1. Can you describe TIGHTER in a brief little sentence?
Tighter is a modern reimagining of one of my favorite gothic novellas, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
Tighter is a modern reimagining of one of my favorite gothic novellas, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
2. How much did the story of TIGHTER change from your initial thoughts, to first draft, then finally ready to be printed?
The biggest plot shift would be something of a spoiler, but I would say that Milo wasn't always who he is in the final version-- he was a bit more, um, substantial. And I had a darker end for Jamie than what we decided. I also added more in later drafts to her Little Bly friendships and world-- particularly her charged/twisted relationship with Aidan. Tonally, though, it's the same book as the one in my head three years ago. Maybe because it's so clear to me how James' book influenced it.
The biggest plot shift would be something of a spoiler, but I would say that Milo wasn't always who he is in the final version-- he was a bit more, um, substantial. And I had a darker end for Jamie than what we decided. I also added more in later drafts to her Little Bly friendships and world-- particularly her charged/twisted relationship with Aidan. Tonally, though, it's the same book as the one in my head three years ago. Maybe because it's so clear to me how James' book influenced it.
3. This novel showcases a few controversial issues, most specifically prescription drugs. What was the deciding factor to add this to the story?I'd say it takes one to know one. Jamie's story is very real to me. I got terrible headaches in high school, and I would gobble down just about any kind of pain killer I could find. I raided medicine cabinets, and I was pretty irresponsible.
4. Were there any life experiences of your own that influenced the writing of TIGHTER?
Personal loss. The story is about loss-- and I can feel the echo of what I was going through in some of its emotional reach. It was why I picked up The Turn of the Screw. Something in that story's grief and delirium spoke to me.
5. Are there any deeper lessons that you're trying to convey to your teen readers with this novel?
That's been a loaded and much-dissected question of YA lit these days, and well worth asking. When it comes to delivering a novel versus a message, here's what I think. Even if you are writing to a younger audience, you obviously are well within your right as an author to take on any subject you please, any way you want. But I like to make sure that I am on-message with myself-- that I feel perfect clarity about why I've decided to address a theme or dynamic. I want to be able to stand up for my choices with something more cogent than "I just felt like writing it that way." With regard to TIGHTER, I do believe that self-medicating can lead to addiction and drug abuse in the flash of an eye. And if you have a proclivity toward abuse, it's almost too easy. I think Jamie really takes that vulnerability, and the danger of her decisions, all the way to her unraveling.
6. How does TIGHTER differ from other things you've written?
I loved writing this book. It reset my buttons, reminded me of the pure joy of the written word, especially because it's an homage to such a masterful writer, a far better writer than most of us will ever be. But I found that elating, not depressing.
I loved writing this book. It reset my buttons, reminded me of the pure joy of the written word, especially because it's an homage to such a masterful writer, a far better writer than most of us will ever be. But I found that elating, not depressing.
7. Pick only one of these words that you think best describes TIGHTER: Spooky, Mind-bottling, or Thrilling
I am picking spooky because I love the word spooky. It reminds me of old Scooby Doo cartoons. And I think, on its purest level, TIGHTER is not intimidating. You can just jump right into this book as easy as jumping into Fred's Mystery Machine.
I am picking spooky because I love the word spooky. It reminds me of old Scooby Doo cartoons. And I think, on its purest level, TIGHTER is not intimidating. You can just jump right into this book as easy as jumping into Fred's Mystery Machine.
8. Being an author from the genre yourself, what are a few of your favorites of the recent YA titles?
I just read Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr, and Family by Micol Ostow-- so different, so incredible. And I am looking forward to reading Frost by Marianna Baer and Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. I'm sure there'll be a zillion others, I get a lot of reading done in the summer, with my toes in the grass.
_____________________________________________
I just read Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr, and Family by Micol Ostow-- so different, so incredible. And I am looking forward to reading Frost by Marianna Baer and Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. I'm sure there'll be a zillion others, I get a lot of reading done in the summer, with my toes in the grass.
_____________________________________________
I hope you all received at least half of the enjoyment I did after reading Griffin's remarkable answers to my questions. I suggest that you move TIGHTER up toward the top of your TBR pile. I mean, that is if you want to have a "spooky" awesome read.






10 comments :
I didn't know much about TIGHTER coming in, but just reading Adele's responses gives me a good feel as to how the book will be. I'm adding it to my list now.
The cover reminds me of Neal Shusterman's UNWIND, though!
I just read this book, and now I'm confused: who's Aidan?
Bekka, I'll go to your blog to explain who he is :)
Great interview! Nice blog! I cant wait to read Forgotten :)
A retelling of The Turn of the Screw?! I had no idea that's what it is, and I am so interested reading Tighter, now. :)
Anyway, fantastic review! I love the questions you chose, and could really feel Adele's love for her work.
P.S. We are fellow followers! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
I'm excited to read this book. Great interview!
-Danna
i'm a new GFC follower! love your blog!
hope you will stop by mine and follow me!!
I CANT WAIT FOR THIS BOOK!!
http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/
Thanks very interesting blog!
Feel free to visit my weblog ... Hostwinds
Hi there, always i used to check blog posts here early in the daylight, since
i love to find out more and more.
Also see my webpage - ASSI PLAZA
Greetings, There's no doubt that your site could be having web browser compatibility issues. Whenever I take a look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in IE, it's got some overlapping issues.
I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Apart from that, wonderful site!
Also visit my homepage http://papillex.com
Post a Comment