Monday, July 25, 2011

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release: October 18th 2007
Format: Finished Copy 
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Readers weren't lying when they said that this book can really make a person feel. The thing is, I'm not sure if I enjoyed what I was feeling. The new silver paperback cover and intense publicity intrigued me enough to pick up Jay Asher's award winning novel. My track record shows that raw/emotional reads are a hit or miss with me. Depressingly, no pun intended, this leaned more on the miss spectrum. 

Clay receives a box of tapes recorded by Hannah, a girl who has just recently took her own life. These are the two protagonists. In these tapes, Hannah explains to Clay the thirteen reasons that caused her to commit suicide. The dual narrative is definitely something interesting, but maybe because of it, I never found myself completely connected to either of the two. Clay would "press play," Hannah would talk, then Clay would give his reaction. Throughout the whole book I felt underwhelmed. Because the eeriness and suspense wasn't potent enough, the narration of both Clay and Hannah became a bit monotonous.

After finishing Thirteen Reasons Why, I took a look at Hannah Moskowitz's review of it. Even though I don't see eye to eye with everything she said, I agree completely with her on one thing. Suicidal tendencies is a result from a disease of the mind. Jay Asher made the fault of Hannah's suicide seem like a direct fault of her peers. Every teen faces harsh rumors and unfair treatment, especially the things that Hannah explains she goes through. There isn't thirteen reasons why she killed herself. There is only one, and I don't need to spell it out. Long story short, I don't quite agree with how this story was directed.

I do wish that I could jump on the congested train of fans, but I just can't. I had a hard time getting through this one. I couldn't be emotionally moved enough to enjoy such raw subject matter.


28 comments :

Braiden said...

Haven’t read 13 Reasons Why yet, but I too wonder about the use of the title and if it really does hold some significance.

Erin W. said...

There have been a lot of mixed reviews for this book but I absolutely loved it and the author's writing! But the book isn't for everybody.

Truly Bookish said...

I know I am alone here but I'm not a fan of contemps. I am an escapist reader and a lot of contemps are just depressing. I don't want to read about suicide, bulimia, cutting or abuse. I heard good things about this book but have avoided it. I probably would feel the same way you do.
NC
Truly Bookish

Lauren M said...

First of all, I'm digging your new layout, Cory!
I've yet to read Thirteen Reasons Why, but I've mostly seen good press for it. It's a bummer you didn't quite agree with the execution of the story! Thanks for the honest review. :)

Booklover-Book Chicks said...

Thanks so much for commenting on my review for Forever. Btw I am following you :) Good review. I was having a hard time if I should buy this book or not and your review really helped.

Tawni said...

Nice new layout! :)

That's disappointing that you had a hard time getting through it. I think we have the similar tastes, so this will definitely stay near the bottom of my list. Thanks for the review!

Bijou-Heart said...

I actually enjoyed this book, but the book was eerie. I felt like I was Clay when they were in the car with his friend. I also felt that this book was directed well because most teens these days (or people around my age) teen suicide does come from peer's and them wanting to be helped but doesn't know how to ask. Anyways, great review! Love the new layout also ;D

Sabrina said...

I have been hesitant on reading Thirteen Reason Why. After seeing this review, I'm going to put this book lower on my tbr pile.

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

I'm liking the new-layout. :) I have this sitting on my shelf and I have a hard time deciding whether or not I want to read it. I've heard good things about it. (as good can be with a book like this) I just don't know if I could get into it. These type of books get me a little emotional.

Agrippina Legit said...

It was very interesting to see a less-positive review of a book I've been seeing a lot of love for. Thanks for showing the other side of the story - no pun intended ;)

P.S: New Follower :)

readingwiththefishes said...

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy this book. I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to buy it as soon as I can, just so I can see what this book is all about. :) Hopefully I'll like it. I have seen reviews go both ways.

With Love and Fishes,
Aryelle at Reading with the Fishes

Amanda said...

Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely not for everyone - it was definitely outside of my comfort zone, and I put off reading it for years. However, I always suggest giving the audiobook a shot before you completely write it off. It's a vastly different experience than simply reading words off the page and really helps you connect with the characters.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I respect your opinion of why this book didn't sit with you 100%.

However, after reading it myself I felt that it was a book everyone and their brother needed to read.

I grew up being picked on in school, maybe not as bad as some kids might have had but enough to have it have an impact on how I treat others now that I'm an adult.

I worked with a few people that I seriously wanted to buy a few copies of this book and leave on their desk with a little note saying "read it and live it".

I think the overall topic and reason Jay wrote this book is because words DO hurt and everyone needs to be responsible for how they treat others.

Suicide may be an illness but just like illnesses there are ways to prevent them and being a polite person to others is one way to do your part.

Emma B. said...

I'm not sure i agree with you. I understand that Hannah's suicide is not entirely the fault of her peers. and yes suicide can be a result of depression. Hannah's suicide was neither all Hannah's fault, or her peers fault. I think that what Jay Asher's point was not to put blame on on Hannah's peers, but to say being negative toward someone can have consequences. In the end it was Hannahs decision to end her life, but you have to admitt that she probably wouldn't have done it without being provoked.

Anonymous said...

I read this book and i really got through to this. I, too, was thinking about suicide, just thinking, and this book actually changed me. Hannah killed herself, yes, but if people actually told her that they needed her in their life then she wouldn't. Everybody needs a reason to keep on living; people need that sense of need. If Clay only told her that he likes her sooner then she would be alive. I bet other people needed her too in the story. I felt this lesson that Mr. Asher wanted to give the readers was a good one. The lesson was everything and everybody affects a persons decision. Make second guesses on rumors and everything. Give a person the chance to be your friend and find out for yourself. And, also, be nice to everyone because you don't know what that person is going through. I love this book and this book actually got me to keep going forward in life and not stopping it. It made me realize that people need me even if I don't realize it now.

Anonymous said...

Post writing is also a fun, if you know after that you can write if not it is complicated to write.
Also visit my web page ... www.popflops.com

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn.
This is a very well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly return.
Review my website ; Montreal Office Cleaning

Anonymous said...

Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with afterward you can write or else it is complex to write.
Visit my blog post :: https://www.rainbowcottoncandy.com

Anonymous said...

Howdy I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you by
error, while I was researching on Google for something else, Anyhow I am
here now and would just like to say thank you for a incredible post
and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.
Feel free to surf my homepage - http://www.eventsandweddingwishes.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
It was inspiring. Keep on posting!
My blog ... SanStreet

Anonymous said...

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have truly
loved surfing around your weblog posts. After all
I'll be subscribing in your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
Feel free to visit my homepage alyssamelodyacupuncture.com

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to
look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm
bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my
followers! Wonderful blog and amazing style and design.
Feel free to visit my webpage ASSI PLAZA

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like me, just pay a visit this web
page all the time since it provides feature contents, thanks
Also visit my site ; papillex.com

Anonymous said...

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing,
so he/she wants to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.
Here is my site - About-Us

Anonymous said...

I leave a response when I like a post on a website or I have something
to add to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the passion communicated
in the post I read. And after this post "Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher".
I was actually excited enough to drop a thought :-P I do
have a few questions for you if you tend not to mind.
Is it just me or does it appear like some of the
remarks come across like left by brain dead folks?
:-P And, if you are posting at other places, I would like to keep
up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you list every one of
your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter
feed?
Here is my webpage : 404 Not Found

Anonymous said...

This page truly has all of the information I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.
Here is my blog post Nutrition

Anonymous said...

There's certainly a great deal to find out about this issue. I really like all of the points you made.
My page :: 3d games

Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!
Here is my web blog ; voice server software