Title: Frost
Author: Marianna Baer
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release: 9/13/2011Format: Advanced Readers Copy
Source: Publisher
Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?
Marianna Baer jumps into the YA community with a big splash. Frost is an eerily suspenseful novel that anyone willing to have unyielding creeps that cause them to sleep with a nightlight on, would enjoy reading.
This is first and foremost a haunted house story. Leena and her friends decide to dorm at the Frost House for their senior year at boarding school. An unlikely roommate is forced upon them, but that's only the beginning of their problems. Odd things begin to happen in their timeworn dormitory that cause them to blame each other - knocking noises, missing objects, vandalism, etc. Celeste, the high-strung and unwanted roommate seems to be in the middle of it all. Leena is left to decipher if Celeste is the cause of all the freaky mishappenings, or if it is actually paranormal forces behind it all. The weird thing is, Leena feels an undeniable connection to the house, as if it wants her to live and stay there... forever.
This book is as terrifying as it sounds. Regretfully, I read a majority of this before I went to bed. I turned off my lights at 11 pm and couldn't fall asleep until 2 am. Frost mentally wore me out! Still, the pacing of it was a little off for me. I read the first two chapters, and was hit with anxiety to see where the story would go. That anxiety built up into frustration. Everything leading up to the climax is a bit monotonous and repetitive. Still, an ominous feel is kept throughout. It really does pick up towards the end and mostly every question I was restlessly awaiting an answer for is answered.
Marianna Baer created characters that I easily connected with. Each roommate has their own little personality. Leena, who narrates the story, has a simple personality with a distinct voice. She's your average do-gooder. The absence of obvious complication is quite refreshing for this genre. There is a little romance in Frost, but in no way is it the central focus. If anything, it just adds another obstacle that ultimately has to do with the house.
In all, Frost is quite the worthwhile read. There were times that I just wanted to skip to the end and see what happens, but gladly I didn't. The anticipation and suspense resulted in a jaw dropping conclusion. Fair warning though, the ending is one that leaves you guessing and not knowing what to believe. If you can find satisfaction in that, pick up this thrilling ghost story!
This is first and foremost a haunted house story. Leena and her friends decide to dorm at the Frost House for their senior year at boarding school. An unlikely roommate is forced upon them, but that's only the beginning of their problems. Odd things begin to happen in their timeworn dormitory that cause them to blame each other - knocking noises, missing objects, vandalism, etc. Celeste, the high-strung and unwanted roommate seems to be in the middle of it all. Leena is left to decipher if Celeste is the cause of all the freaky mishappenings, or if it is actually paranormal forces behind it all. The weird thing is, Leena feels an undeniable connection to the house, as if it wants her to live and stay there... forever.
This book is as terrifying as it sounds. Regretfully, I read a majority of this before I went to bed. I turned off my lights at 11 pm and couldn't fall asleep until 2 am. Frost mentally wore me out! Still, the pacing of it was a little off for me. I read the first two chapters, and was hit with anxiety to see where the story would go. That anxiety built up into frustration. Everything leading up to the climax is a bit monotonous and repetitive. Still, an ominous feel is kept throughout. It really does pick up towards the end and mostly every question I was restlessly awaiting an answer for is answered.
Marianna Baer created characters that I easily connected with. Each roommate has their own little personality. Leena, who narrates the story, has a simple personality with a distinct voice. She's your average do-gooder. The absence of obvious complication is quite refreshing for this genre. There is a little romance in Frost, but in no way is it the central focus. If anything, it just adds another obstacle that ultimately has to do with the house.
In all, Frost is quite the worthwhile read. There were times that I just wanted to skip to the end and see what happens, but gladly I didn't. The anticipation and suspense resulted in a jaw dropping conclusion. Fair warning though, the ending is one that leaves you guessing and not knowing what to believe. If you can find satisfaction in that, pick up this thrilling ghost story!







21 comments :
Love your review. I am going to add Frost to my TBR list!
Great blog, I'm your newest follower!
Evie@Paromantasy
This sounds great, I love the cover too. Thanks for the great review! (:
Haley @ Ya-Aholic
I love scary stories! This one sounds really good and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review:)
-Danna
Great Review! Never heard of this one, but I'm adding it to my tbr pile :) I'm already and follower and thanks for dropping by my blog :D
Sounds awesome, adding it to my TBR pile. Great review:)
~ Tiffany("perfectly" inked!)
Wow, this books sounds great. Now I'm even more eager to pick it.
btw, love your reviews!
haunted house? NICE!! :)
LOVE IT! You have a fabulous blog! I'm your newest follower. I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with the Best Books Blog Award for all the hard work you do!
Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra
hi im a new follower and a new blogger come and check out my blog
http://insideemmasmind.blogspot.com/
I'm adding this to my TBR! Great review! : )
"The weird thing is, Leena feels an undeniable connection to the house, like it wants her to live and stay there... forever."
Ooh goodness, that's creepy. I love the sound of this book. It seems like something I'd enjoy :). Thanks for the review!!
Fabulous review! Thanks for the recommendation.
Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/
Where are youuu?
Ooooh this sounds really interesting (and scary too!). Though, I barely slept the last time I read a horror book. But I still can't wait to read this one.
I've been seeing this book everywhere on the blogs, but I had no idea what it was about until I read your review. For some reason, the title of it turned me off, so I didn't really want to find out more about it.
Now, of course, I'm wishing I would have known more about it yesterday, when I was spending my Amazon giftcard. I've really been wanting a good creepy ghost story to read, and this sounds perfect for what I've been wanting. Needless to say, I'm going to get my hands on a copy of this ASAP. Thanks for the review!
Great review...I also loved the book...New follower so come follow me at bookreaper.blogspot.com
It's actually a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
Feel free to visit my web-site :: www.Eventsandweddingwishes.com
It is really a great and useful piece of info. I'm happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
Take a look at my web page home cinemas
I haven't seen this one around but it looks really good. The cover is amazing! Thanks for the review!
WOW - I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to! - Def. checking out these new reads! I'm now following you via gfc, Hope you check out my blog? keep in touch love x
Benish | Feminist Reflections
A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway
Post a Comment